NEW DELHI: The ministry of home affairs on Saturday clarified that barber shops and salons will be allowed to open in green and orange zones during the third phase of the lockdown beginning May 4, besides sale of non-essential items by e-commerce platforms. In red zones, the e-commerce companies are allowed to sell only essential commodities and barber shops are not allowed to open. Meanwhile, the death toll due to Covid-19 rose to 1,223 and the number of cases climbed to 37,776 in the country on Saturday.
Here are the top developments:
- Over 10,000 people out of 37,776 suffering from the coronavirus infection have recovered in the country so far, said the Union ministry of health.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a series of meetings with key ministers, including home minister Amit Shah and finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman, and officials of economic ministries to firm up the second stimulus package for sectors impacted by lockdown to curb spread of coronavirus, sources said.
- The Centre has asked state governments to lift foodgrain from the open market sale scheme for distribution to lockdown-hit poor people not covered under the public distribution system.
- A day after the Modi government announced extension of the coronavirus-induced lockdown till May 17, the DGCA said all commercial passenger flights will remain suspended till midnight of May 17.
- The ICMR is planning to study whether the novel coronavirus strain in India has undergone mutation while spreading within the country over the last two months. Determining whether or not the SARS-CoV2 strain has changed form will help in ensuring the effectiveness of a potential vaccine.
- The armed forces have made elaborate arrangements to conduct aerial fly-pasts, light up ships at sea and shower flower petals on several hospitals across the country on Sunday to express gratitude to lakhs of doctors, paramedics, sanitation staff and other front-line workers engaged in fighting the coronavirus pandemic.
- India has placed urgent orders for at least 11.45 crore tablets of hydroxychloroquine. This drug is being directly procured by HLL Lifecare, on behalf of the Union health ministry.
- The UAE sent seven metric tonnes of medical supplies to India to bolster its fight against the Covid-19 pandemic, the Gulf country’s embassy said. The aid sent by plane will assist approximately 7,000 medical professionals as they work to combat the virus.
- Maharashtra: As many as 56 Covid-19 patients, including a three-year-old girl, were discharged at the same time from a hospital in Maharashtra after recovery. The state has 11,506 cases of coronavirus, so far.
- Delhi: All 11 districts in the national capital will remain in red zone till May 17. Delhi has recorded 3,738 cases of coronavirus and 61 fatalities, so far.
- Rajasthan: The coronavirus death toll climbed to 65 after three more people, including a minor, succumbed to the infection in Rajasthan, which reported 54 fresh cases, taking the total number to 2,720 in the state.
- Uttar Pradesh: With 127 more people testing positive for Covid-19 in Uttar Pradesh, the number of confirmed cases in the state rises to 2,455.
- Haryana: The death toll due to Covid-19 in Haryana rose to five with one more fatality while 19 more people tested positive for the disease, taking the total number of cases to 376.
- Goa: After being classified as a green zone in connection with the coronavirus outbreak, Goa will work towards restarting out-patient departments in its district and sub district hospitals.
- Odisha: Seven people tested positive for Covid-19 in Odisha’s Jajpur district, taking the total number of cases in the state to 156.
- Bihar: A 45-year-old Covid-19 patient died at a hospital, taking the death toll in the state to four. The state has reported 471 coronavirus cases.
- Kerala: Two more people have been tested positive for Covid-19 in Wayanad & Kannur, taking the active number of cases to 96 in Kerala.
- J&K: Jammu and Kashmir reported 27 new cases of Covid-19, taking the total number of infected persons in the Union territory to 666.
- Andhra Pradesh: The coronavirus count went further up by 62 to 1,525 in Andhra Pradesh as the infection showed no signs of abating.
- Karnataka: Two people died of Covid-19 in Karnataka taking the toll in the state to 25, whereas nine more tested positive for the virus, pushing the tally to 601.
- Uttarakhand: One new Covid-19 case has been reported in Dehradun, taking the total number of cases in the state to 59.
- Jharkhand: As many as 113 cases of Covid-19 have been reported in Jharkhand, including two deaths.
- Tamil Nadu: 231 people have tested positive for Covid-19 in the state, taking the total number of cases in Tamil Nadu to 2,757.
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands: A person recovered from Covid-19 in Andaman and Nicobar Islands after testing negative. Now, the total active cases of Covid-19 stands at 16.
- Chandigarh: Six new Covid-19 positive cases have been reported in Chandigarh, taking the total number of positive cases to 94.
- Punjab: 187 new Covid-19 cases have been reported in Punjab, which includes 53 cases from Amritsar. Total positive cases in the state stand at 772.
- Himachal Pradesh: Number of active Covid-19 cases has decreased to two in Himachal Pradesh. 33 patients have recovered from the disease, while one died so far.
- Tripura: In Tripura, two persons from Ambassa, BSF unit were found Covid-19 positive, taking the total number to 4.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 238,810 people since the outbreak first emerged in December. More than 3,354,100 cases were registered in 195 countries and territories.
- President Donald Trump said he’s hoping that the total number of Covid-19 deaths in the United States will be below 100,000. The US has the highest number of total deaths with 65,068 out of 1,104,161 cases.
- Over 1.5 million cases of coronavirus have been recorded in Europe, just under half the worldwide total. With at least 1,506,853 infections, including 140,260 deaths, Europe is the hardest-hit continent.
- Iran said there was a “clear drop” in the number of new coronavirus infections as it reported 802 fresh cases, the lowest daily count since March 10. The new cases brought to 96,448 the number recorded in Iran. New deaths rose slightly to 65, reaching a total of 6,156.
- China, where the deadly coronavirus first emerged in December last, reported just one Covid-19 case. The death toll remained at 4,633 with no new fatality.
- Pakistan registered its highest single day increase in the coronavirus cases with 1,297 new infections, taking the total number to 18,114. The death toll due to the viral infection jumped to 417.
- Russia reported its highest one-day jump in new coronavirus infections. Russia’s government reported 7,933 new cases, raising its total to 114,431.
- France decided to extend a health emergency imposed to fight the new coronavirus for two months until July 24.